Assuming reports are true, we’ll have a new offensive coordinator next season and head coach the following year. So just who is this guy?
- Holgorsen is 39 years old (born June 21, 1971). He has 3 children: McClayne, Logan and Carlyn.
- He is a graduate of Iowa Wesleyan (’93) and owns a Masters from Valdosta St. (’95) where he began his coaching career as a graduate assistant.
- Holgorsen’s resume reads as:
– ’96-’98 – Mississippi College – QBs/Receivers/Special Teams
– ’99 Wingate – Quarterbacks/Receivers
– ’00-’04 – Texas Tech – Inside Receivers
– ’05-’07 – Texas Tech – Co-Offensive Coordinator/Inside Receivers
– ’08-’09 – Houston – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
– ’10 – Oklahoma State – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
- In his one season as OC at OK St., Holgorsen turned the Cowboys offense around. They are ranked #1 in total offense, #2 in passing offense and #3 in scoring offense this season. Last year they were #62, #93 & #37 in the same category’s.
- I’m a stats guy, so in sticking with that theme here are Houston’s offensive numbers in 2009 (under Holgorsen): Passing & total offense #1, scoring offense #2.
- How about 2008? More of the same: #1 total, #2 passing and #10 scoring.
- Texas Tech in 2007, you ask? #1 passing, #2 total & #7 in scoring. I could go on, but why bother? I think you get the point. Holgorsen, knows offense.
- According to oklahomastate.rivals.com, the offer has Holgorsen making appoximately $750,000 in 2011 and then moves to a five-year head coaching deal that will pay him approximately $2 million per year starting in 2012.
- Numerous reports list Bill Bedenbaugh (current offensive coordinator at Arizona) as the leading candidate to be the OC on Holgorsen’s staff. This report is unconfirmed at the moment.
- It has also been reported that 2 of the current offensive assistants will be retained. No word, at this time, who that will be.
- Some of the athletes who have learned under Holgorsen: Michael Crabtree, Casey Keenum, Graham Harrell, Wes Welker & Justin Blackmon.
- According to Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Holgorsen was, at one point, a leading candidate for the Pitt job. I can’t help but laugh about this!
– For a little more information on Holgorsen’s offense click here. Skip ahead to #2.
- More to come!